Good morning and welcome to 10 Things in Tech. If this was forwarded to you, sign up here.
Let’s get started.
1. Jeff Bezos reportedly claimed a tax credit intended for families earning less than $100,000 — but he was worth $18 billion. In 2011, Bezos received a $4,000 tax credit for his children, according to tax documents obtained by ProPublica. We explain how he was able to do that.
2. Facebook’s first-ever smartwatch is slated to roll out next summer. The company has purportedly spent $1 billion on the product since 2019. Along with a $400 price tag, here are some of the watch’s specs.
3. It’s an ideal time to be a tech-startup job candidate. As startups rake in capital and grow their teams (and as some employees “rage quit” low-paying jobs in search of those with better working conditions and culture) the power is back in the hands of job candidates. Why now’s a good time for tech employees to job hunt.
4. Someone just bought a $22.5 million Miami penthouse entirely in cryptocurrency. The deal is considered to be the largest known cryptocurrency real estate purchase to date. Check out the luxury home.
5. The Senate passed a $250 billion cash injection to help US tech companies build more semiconductor chips. In addition to ending the global semiconductor chip shortage, the money is meant to help the US compete against China. Read…