Ideas for pet-friendly plants
Houseplants are hugely popular these days but you’ll have to do some research before purchasing certain ones if you have pets. In last week’s Homestyle cover story, we outlined some great plants to start with for the plant-challenged but many of them — pothos, ZZ plant, sansevieria and peace lily — are toxic to pets. Here are some other ideas that are safe for cats and dogs, says Kelly Green, owner of the Southern Green inside Tootie &Tallulah’s in Berkley:
- Bird’s Nest Ferns: Green says most ferns are a great option.
- Calathea: They’re sometimes finicky but a really great houseplant with beautiful leaves, says Green.
- Chinese Money Plant: Also called Pass It On Plant, it’s named for the babies that grow around the base of the original plant over time, said Green.
- Spider plant: A plant widely considered one of the easiest to grow.
- African Violet: Small houseplants that produce clusters of white, blue, or purple flowers over fuzzy leaves.
- Areca Palm or Parlor Palm: A popular houseplant that grows in shaded light.
Reclaimed wood retailer now in design center’s Resource Center
Reclaimed Michigan of Waterford Township specializes in barn wood, custom furniture, signs, salvage and vintage finds. Along with its 14,000 square foot warehouse in Waterford, it also now has a presence in the Resource Center at the Michigan Design Center in Troy. “The design center has a small sample of what we do,” said co-owner Bill McDonald. “There are some finished…